Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Conversations with a 4-year-old...


Reese and I picked up a little buddy of his for a play date today (read: so mommy can get some work done) and as we incidentally drove by the only cemetary in town, he told his friend, "that's where they bury people who die." I don't know why, other than for conversation and he was so excited for his play date, Reese brought this up. We drove by the cemetery at least two more times throughout the day and our on our final trip home, and again seeing the cemetery, our conversation went something like this...

Reese: Mom, does God have a TV up there in his house?
Mom: Hmmm. I don't know buddy. Do you think he does? I think there are better things than TV up there.
Reese: Mom, what does God look like?
Mom: Do you remember the picture on the program for Chase's funeral?
Reese: No. Does he look like a ghost?
Mom: You mean like you can see through him?
Reese: Yeah.
Mom: I don't know, buddy. Everyone has their own idea of what God looks like. I think he looks like a normal person though, but extra kind, very gentle. Just a really nice person I guess.
Reese: Mom, are we gonna go to Heaven?
Mom: You mean like for a little while...or forever?
Reese: Yeah.
Mom: Well, babe, everyone goes to Heaven. But I don't think you have to think about that for a long time. Not 'til you get older, a lot older.
Reese: Mom, can we see Chasey?
Mom: I wish we could, buddy......I miss him. A lot. What would you do if you saw Chase?
Reese: (Quiet.)
Mom: Would you give him a hug....and then ask him if he wanted to race?
Reese: Yeah, I would.


Oh, man. How it hurts to talk about this. I can't believe this is Reese's "normal". I hate that he has to grow up like this. I have really felt the affect on Reese's life in particular lately. How big of an impact Chase would have on Reese. I think about it or talk about it to Patric every day. This is the first time Reese has ever been home with us alone. It started out special--just time with us. But after that has worn off, it has been just torture. I know he loves to be home with us. But he misses his sisters, who were home with him last year. Then before that, Emma was home being homeschooled by herself; before that, Karly was home and played with him all the time. This has been something completely new for me, having just one kid to tend to. And he doesn't like having to "wait" for me to get to him. I hate getting frustrated with his begging to play, do this, do that. But I do. And I know Chase would have made things so different. For all of us. It's hard to imagine the impact another child is going to put on your life. But it's agonizing to have to live with their absence. To say we miss him does not do it justice.

5 comments:

  1. It's so sweet, as sad as it is, that your son thinks about Chase in his new home.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversations like that I imagine are difficult. Life would definitely be different with them here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These conversations with my son leave my stomach in knots for the day. It hurts us to know our children are hurting & we cannot fix this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw him today. He waved at us in the library. I thought of who he is because of Chase's life and I looked at him again. He is resilent, he will grow in this process and imagine the compassionate man he will one day become.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your little guy talks about Chase. Its so good that he is brave enough to ask questions and want to know more about Chase. Its SO hard, having to teach children, who are much too young about death. Its a road I wish I could erase forever...I hate that I have to walk this journey, but that my babies do too is almost too hard to even fathom.

    You've got a brave little boy in your life.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Stats