Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A friend of mine sent me this poem. I read it and it hit home. Then I googled it and found out that it is actually quite popular. Everyone can relate. Before I lost Chase, I would have read this and thought, "I know that". Having lost him, I read this and say in my mind, "I get it. I feel it. I live it." We all know what we should be doing but it is a completley different matter to actually do it. When you lose something so dear, so precious, your life changes. Your view on life changes. What is really important becomes clearer. Even clearer than we already thought it was. We feel vulnerable. Shy. Scared of the mortality of those we love and we do everything in our being to not let anything happen to them. These are lessons I wish I would have lived my life without.
After a While
by Veronica Shoffstall
After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans.
After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong,
And you really do have worth.

2 comments:

  1. That poem is amazing. Thanks for sharing it, I'd never read it before. You are completely right, loss changes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Christy! I have been absent for awhile. I was thinking about you the other day and I just wanted to stop by and say hello!
    Sending you hugs....lots and lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Stats